Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Come out and play

This blog started as an indirect result of my leaving my job to be at home with my baby boy. HORROR! What are you going to dooooo? Women would ask me with their noses a bit wrinkled up and eyebrows a bit raised. What are you going to do all day at home with the baby? You'll get bored, you'll see. Three years later the questions haven't changed much. What do you do all day? They still ask. This is what I do:

I cook. I go to the supermarket. I try to squeeze in some yoga. I embroider. I play. I play with cars and trains and trucks. Sometimes I am a dog, others an elephant. And I like it!

Extensive studies have shown that it is not in a child's best interest to start school early. In England they are considering adding a year to the school starting age. In Finland they don't start till they are 7, and they have an exemplary educational system with the highest results in Europe. They believe that a child's early years should not be marred with lessons. The greatest lesson is play play play.

My friend Natalie is a play expert. She is a certified playtherapist and dramatherapist and she works with parents and children, teaching them how to play. Its not easy to enter a child's world. We carry so many judgements with us, so much don't do this and don't do that. Playing is a skill that teaches children about life, and learning how to play effectively is vital for healthy mental development. If you are a parent, take a look at her website http://www.homeplay.gr/ She was also recently featured in babyspace.gr and the link is here http://www.babyspace.gr/Article/interview-natalie-samba/444-2204.html

I for one can't wait to start!

1 comment:

  1. Totally! I get that ALL the time and it drives me insane! I don't ask them how they can fritter away there lives at a desk, filing papers and staring at a computer screen, just another cog in the wheel.
    I LOVE being a stay at home mom! It's the most rewarding thing I have ever done and it's so much fun to watch your child grow up and develop.

    ReplyDelete